The Region between Aveyron and Cantal
Head for must-see sites !
- Conques is listed as one of the “most beautiful villages in France” and is a prime stop on the Santiago de Compostela route. It is an international benchmark in Roman architecture and medieval goldsmithery.
- Rouergue, Rodez and Vallée du Lot : explore the Gothic Entraygues bridge where the Lot and Truyère meet; Estaing is a stunning medieval town to visit along with the staggering geological Bozouls site and Notre Dame de Rodez Cathedral.
- The infinite and breathtaking Aubrac scenery. A summer pasture for Aubrac cattle. Water and peatland. Fantastic flora and fauna. Laguiole is where the famous knives are made.
- Mountains neighbouring Cantal (on foot, by bike and cable car): the Plomb du Cantal is the 2nd highest peak in the Massif Central; the Puy Mary is an iconic pyramid radiating 12 glacial troughs.
- The Gabarit Viaduct : exceptional construction built by Gustave Eiffel in 1880 embodying 4 years of human skill and technical prowess. The arch bridge was once the largest metallic construction in the world. It was an opportunity to experiment before building the Eiffel Tower.
- Chaudes Aigues : spa resort with the hottest natural springs in Europe and famous since Antiquity; the 82°C Par source flows at 5l/s; the geothermal museum reveals the secrets of hot springs and tells the story of spring water.